Yes, it is!

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My Baby Is Six!

My sweet boy is 6 today.  These years have gone by so quickly.  I still remember like it was yesterday, how it felt when the nurse held my baby boy's face to my cheek.  I had a c-section so I was unable to hold my new baby right away. But I'll never forget how his skin was so soft against my cheek.  I still find myself snuggling my cheek to his sometimes just to remember that day of his birth.  Ah! The memories.  I never want to forget. 

Despite the challenges of raising a little boy who has a severe speech disorder and a sensory processing disorder, I love my Ben with all of my heart. He truly is a blessing to our family, an unexpected blessing.  He was our little surprise, completely unplanned.  I know I've written about this before but when we found out I was pregnant and nearly 8 weeks along already, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It just completely took us by surprise.  I mean, we were in shock, such shock that Tim had the nerve to ask how it happened.  Heheheh.  I was all set to start a new and different graduate program that summer and those plans went out the window immediately.  I have no regrets, though. 

Ben has grown so much this past year in many areas.  His speech has come so far.  Just 2 years ago, he had difficulty putting together 2 word sentences.  This past year has seen tremendous growth with his speech. What's better is that Ben's frustration level has greatly improved because he is much better understood by us.  He still has at least a couple more years of therapy, though, to get him to where he should be.  Despite the speech disability, Ben is a very smart little boy.  He has always scored higher on his receptive skills and he learns things very quickly. I'm thankful that Ben has not let his disability get in the way of learning.

Ben started Kindergarten this year and he absolutely loves it. I was a bit worried about how he would adjust to being in school for a full day but he has done fantastic.  He has, so far, received green marks on his folder every day.  He has also been a "star student" several times already for good deeds.  Just this week, he received another "star student" certificate because he picked up a piece of trash in the library and threw it away when everyone else just walked around it and ignored it.  It's a big deal to him to be a "star student."  

Ben has become a very sensitive little guy in this past year.  He does and says some of the cutest things and Tim and I can't help but laugh.  Ben gets so upset and has been known to run to his room, slam the door shut, and hide behind his bed.  He doesn't quite understand that we're not laughing at him but that we're laughing about his cute-ness.  Ben also is also sensitive toward those who are disabled in some way.  He really has a heart of compassion and that makes me so proud.

Ben is such a funny little boy, even when he's not trying to be funny.  I still laugh when I think about the time he left the dinner table while Jackie was in the middle of one of her meltdowns, and he came back to the table with his ears stuffed with tissue.   The past month, Ben has talked constantly about going to O'Charley's for his birthday dinner.  Finally, today came and he was excited about going to O'Charley's.  The waiter asked Ben what he wanted to eat and Ben said "I don't know."  Funny kid. 

It really has been quite an adventure these past 6 years, raising a boy.  Ben definitely keeps us on our toes.  He always has us laughing about something. He is also my very affectionate child.  He loves to snuggle and rub noses and cheeks with me.  I love it! He has also matured some.  Up until recently, Ben would freak out and cry if he had to go on stage at church for any reason such as children's choir or Awana award night.  He would be fine up until the moment he had to go on stage.  I've had to go "rescue" him more than once.  He made me so proud this past Sunday when he got up on the church stage with the children's choir and sang along. I was beaming because he did so well up there.  He's such a big boy now.

Ben has his own group of fans.  He is very well-liked, both at church and at school.  He seems to have no problem making friends.  Even the senior ladies at church have a thing for him.  During church, Ben has been known to make drawings as gifts for his older lady friends.  They're smitten with him. Even some of the teen girls gush over Ben.  He has lots of girlfriends, for sure. It makes me very happy that my baby boy is loved on and cared for by so many people. 

It is my prayer that Ben will continue to have his sensitive and compassionate heart.  He just makes me so proud when I see that part of him in action.  It helps me to know that I'm doing at least one thing right with him. 

Now, if only somebody would have warned me about all the "boy part" situations... there have been plenty of them recently and Daddy is no help with that.  I can't help but wonder who's going to give "the talk" when it's time. 

But, Happy Birthday to my boy!  We love you so very much and we are so happy that God unexpectedly blessed us with you.

No comments: