Yes, it is!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Talk About Male Dogs; a mini lesson on male dog anatomy

I recently learned of a sweet pug that needed a new home and I offered to foster it until the pug rescue organization can pick him up.  Before I picked up the little guy (who will only be referred to as Old Man to save him from embarrassment), the former owner told me Old Man is 10-11 years old, that he was neutered, he was not microchipped, and that he has pedigree papers.  He has a good temperament and was very affectionate.

Yesterday was the day that I went to pick Old Man up from the former owner's mom's house (did you get that?), where he had been living for the past few months.  Immediately, I noticed something.  I made a comment about Old Man not being neutered and the owner's mom said, "yes, he's neutered", to which I replied "No. He's not."  She seemed very surprised and then she asked me how I can tell.  I just pointed to the offending body part and the lady said "Ooohhh. Well, what do they do? Cut them off?"  Well, essentially, yes.  I couldn't help but chuckle about this.  Her reply back was that she's never had boy dogs, just always girl dogs.  Hmm, she had just finished telling me that her husband had recently adopted a Shih Tzu that was already neutered when they got him.  in case you didn't know, there is a very obvious difference between an intact male dog and a neutered male dog.

So today, Ben was laying on the floor nearby where Old Man was walking around.  Ben then sat up and told me that Old Man pooped.  Of course, I immediately mentally prepared myself for a clean-up.  I asked Ben where Old Man pooped.  Ben then got up, looked at Old Man's behind, and then pointed. Gah!  The dog is not neutered.  I then told Ben that it wasn't poop.  Of course, Ben being the curious little boy that he is, asked what it was.  For a moment, I was left groping for word to explain what it was when the words finally came, "those are boy parts."  Boy parts?!!  Thank God for another distraction before I was forced to answer that last exclamation question.  And poor Old Man, his scrotum has been a source of amusement 2 days in a row.
   

No comments: