Yes, it is!

Monday, April 8, 2013

Accountability

I recently realize teenagers can actually be good accountability partners.  Why?  Well, it's because I really do want to be a good example for them. 

In the past few years, I had a handful of teenagers send me friend requests on Facebook.  At first, I was reluctant to accept those requests because I thought it was a bit awkward.  I don't know what the true motivation was for those teens.  Perhaps it was because they were on a quest to see who could obtain the most friends on a social network.  Or perhaps, they truly cared about having a friendly relationship. Whatever the case may be, I mostly accepted their requests because I did not want to hurt any feelings.  However, within the past year and a half, I began to feel uncomfortable to have such young people on my Facebook friend list, especially considering that I never heard from those people.  I was only subjected to their daily drama.  Oh, the drama that came from those particular kids! And I must say that I was becoming a little concerned about the foul language coming from such young people. Nothing really shocks me anymore.  However, I was appalled at the number of young (even preteens) teens who use certain acronyms, knowing full well what those letters stand for.  (When my kids are old enough for social network, you can bet that I will be monitoring their accounts on a daily basis). I finally made the decision that I needed to remove some select young people from my friend list.  I kept a couple of teens on my list because I actually did have an active relationship with them, mostly for babysitting my children.  

Lately, though, I have had a number of requests, again, from young people.  These are really good kids, kids who attend church. The religious kind.  I don't know why these young kids want to be "friends" with me.  Perhaps it's a numbers thing or perhaps it's just because so many of these young people know my daughter.  I don't know but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to accept them and that it was just another good way of getting to know them in case I am in need of a back-up babysitter, or even pet-sitter.

These kids are actually (and unknowingly) great accountability partners as they are forcing me to keep my language (and behavior) mostly clean.  I want to be a good, non-religious example for them.  My hope is that parents will appreciate that I was not a cause of corruption in their young person's life.  In recent months, I have been much more careful with the stuff that I post on Facebook.  In a way, perhaps I can be a sort of mentor without even knowing it.  Who knows?  I can also learn from these young people what to expect when my daughter reaches that age, too. I'm sure I'll be learning a lot.  Thankfully though, I haven't seen the drama that I saw in the past from other young, former Facebook friends.  

No comments: