Yes, it is!

Saturday, October 13, 2012

My Keeping It Real Rant

I recently deactivated my Facebook account for several reasons.  You can read about that in a previous blogspot.  During that time, I have done some self-reflecting and have realized that I have a tendency to try to live life the way others dictate that I should.  Well, guess what?  No longer will that be the case.
If I have an opinion about something and I am respectful about that and as long as I am not calling out names, then respect my opinion.  I respect others' opinions. I expect to be respected, too.
Since living in this area, I have met many wonderful people but have yet to truly connect with anybody who I can completely trust and with whom I can just be myself.  I've met a handful of people who I initially thought I could be that type of friend.  But sadly, that does not end up being the case.  It seems that I just cannot be myself with most people.  If you want to be my friend, then accept me as I am.  Don't try to change me.  If there is something that I have done that has offended you and you're not going to tell me, then don't expect an apology from me.  If I know that I have truly done something to legitimately offend somebody, then I have no problem apologizing.  Otherwise, if you can't accept me as I am, move on.
If I make a generalized comment about something that I don't agree with, don't immediately assume that I'm talking about you specifically.  Because more than likely, I am not talking about one specific person.  If you have an issue with that, then talk to me as a friend, don't make me feel as if I just committed the world's worse sin.  This can apply to anything going in our world, from young teenagers' behavior to adults bashing others for not agreeing with their political views.  Oh, I can get on my soapbox with that but I'll refrain for now.  The key issue is respect, respect for self and respect for others. 
If you are a friend of mine, then be a friend.  I refuse to be a second or third class friend.  Accept me as I am or move on.  No more playing 2nd fiddle here.  If I offer to do something for you and you accept, keep it.  I can't tell you how many times I've been asked (and at times I have offered) to do something for somebody only to be told "never mind", I'd rather go with her.  You should have asked that person in the first place.  I know I am not important to most people but still... treat me with respect and dignity.
I may not come across as the most friendly person, or the sharpest tack in the box or even as somebody who has talents.  But guess what?  I've been known to shock.  You think I look dumb?  And you think you do stuff that I won't notice because you think I'm dumb?  Well, think again. I'm quite a bit smarter than you give me credit for.  You think I'm not talented at anything?  Well, think again.  I may not look like a typical Zumba person.  But I can move it.  You think I can't windsurf?  Well, I can get up on that board and take off.  I may not be able to turn it around but I can do it.  You think I can't  jetski?  Well, guess what?  I've done that, too.  On a jet ski, not a sea-doo.  I have been involved in a handful of voice ensembles.  I have played an instrument in marching and symphonic band. I have a Real Estate license from another state where I used to live.  I have been guest writer on other blogs.  I am capable of so much more than you give me credit for. 
If you can't accept me for being the real me, then move on.  I will not live my life according others' wishes.  And show me a little respect and perhaps I'll show you a little more respect.  Rant over. 


No comments: