Yes, it is!

Monday, October 15, 2012

AAFA and Other Exciting News!

I received a confidence boost today. I passed my AFAA (Aerobics and Fitness Association of America) exam!  I took the practical and written exam over a month ago and I finally got my results today in the mail.  Finally!  Ahh, that was the longest month in a long time. I am now officially certified as a group fitness instructor.  I got my Zumba basic license last year but I did not pursue classes yet as I wanted to wait until I got this AFAA certification.  This certification is not required to teach Zumba class but many fitness facilities require a group exercise certification.  I have to admit that I was slightly nervous that I did not do well on the test because it was a tough one, more difficult than I had anticipated.  I was not as prepared as I would like to have been having not studied very much because I have 2 high maintenance children who require my attention. There were 2 parts to the test; a 10-15 minute practical and then a 100 question written exam for which you have to pass by at least 80%.  So, thank. You. LORD!

The other exciting thing is that I am now officially licensed to teach Zumba Gold.  I took the training class yesterday and I left there very excited about teaching future classes to populations that I am passionate about; seniors, people with special needs, and those with mobility issues.  Zumba Gold is also great for beginners and those who just want a lower intensity class.  It will take me a little while, though, to get used to that pace.  I need to do that soon as I already have leads to start Zumba Gold classes.

As much as I love basic Zumba, I don't know if I will ever feel comfortable teaching that format.  I do get a little nervous in front of people until I get to know them or if I feel that they won't be judgmental.  I feel so much more at ease with older people as I feel that they are less apt to be judgmental.  Believe me when I say that there are a lot of Zumba snobs out there who wouldn't even bother coming to a basic class instructed by me.  So, I'll stick with teaching the Zumba Gold folks who are typically less judgmental when it comes to fitness and exercise. 

Nearly 3 years ago when I went to my very first Zumba class, I was hooked right away.  But, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would go this far to get my Zumba licenses and then my AFAA group exercise certificate.  I didn't think I was capable.  I don't have much confidence in myself until after I prove myself (and others, of course) wrong.  I am working on changing that.  I think by starting out teaching Zumba Gold to my preferred target population, this will help me to build my confidence enough to possibly substitute teach Basic Zumba classes.  I have a tendency to pursue things just to prove others wrong about me.  But this time, my goal for getting these licenses and certification was to prove to myself that I can do this.  And with God's help, I will do it.  Thank you to those friends who have encouraged me and cheered me on in my endeavors.  You know who you are. 

No comments: