Yes, it is!

Monday, June 18, 2012

Ben

A week and a half ago, Ben decided to "style" his hair.   The night right before we were to leave for a 12-hour out of town trip to Texas.  The funny thing is, Ben walked around like this for hours before anyone noticed. 
This particular evening was spent running a couple of errands and me going to a Zumba class since I knew that I would not be doing much exercise while we were out of town.  I went to my class at 6 pm and I know that my son's hair was normal.  When I came home an hour later, I noticed that my piano bench was placed in front of the sofa and my hair spray and a few other hair accessories were also on the sofa.  I just figured that the kids were safely styling their hair again.  It did not occur to me the possibility that they were actually playing barber shop.  Even though Jackie's school safety scissors were sitting right there with the hair stuff.  I mean, can safety scissors really cut hair? 
Soon, I left to pick up salad and soup for all of us at the Panera.  As I was leaving, I saw that my kids were playing with the neighbor kids.  Jackie came running up to me to give me a quick hug.  I noticed Ben just sat on the neighbor's drive-way with the other kids but he kept a downward glance.  He did look up at me quickly, though. I thought he looked sort of weird from a distance but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  I just figured that he had something in his hair and I would just wash it when he got his shower that night.
Soon after getting back home from Panera, I called the kids in to eat.  Then I finished cleaning and packing.  As I put my piano bench back in it's proper place, I happened to notice a small pile of brownish hair.  Again, it never occurred to me that my children were playing barber shop earlier because I foolishly thought that this hair must have come from my red mini-aussie. 
By the time I got all of our stuff packed for the trip, it was nearly 11:00 and the kids were still awake.  My plan was to let them stay up as late as they wanted to with the hope that they would sleep for the first half of the trip. (Ha!)  We had planned to leave at 4:00 in the morning.  Jackie finally fell asleep on the sofa and I found Ben playing in Jackie's bedroom.  Even though Ben had gotten his shower earlier that night, I did not get a chance to wash his hair.  So, when I found Ben in Jackie's room, I noticed Ben's hair and at first I could not understand why his hair still seemed to be so flat in the front.  Until I took a closer look that is.  Oh. My. G.  What I thought was a flattened hair line earlier ended up being no hair at all.  At. All!  I gasped, I nearly screamed, I almost started crying, I yelled at Ben "why?!".  He just looked at me and shrugged.  Shrugged!  Like it was no big deal.  This was a big deal. It was now after 11:00 at night and we were planning to leave in 4 hours for a 12 hour road trip.  What was I to do?  I was panicked for sure.  I asked Ben how he cut his hair and he said scissors.  Oh. My. G. Those "safety scissors".  Safety scissors!  If Ben had not fessed up to that, I would have assumed that he got ahold of one of my shavers (which, believe me, I keep high out of his reach).  I even posted a picture on Facebook but everyone saw humor in it.  (Apparently there are many other night owls out there beside me).  After I calmed down, I was able to find a little bit of humor but then I started to worry about how Tim was going to react when he saw the damage.  (Thankfully, he took it well).
Most of my friends who responded on Facebook suggested getting Ben's hair buzzed.  Ugh. I just couldn't fathom that.  But then, I couldn't fathom my son walking around with a "V" formation right smack dab in front for the next few weeks.  But thankfully, most people who noticed Ben's hair immediately assumed correctly that Ben took the scissors to his hair.
Look at that sweet innocent face. Ha!


So, after about an hour of sleep on my part, we got on the road.  I was a bit embarrassed whenever we stopped to get gas or food so I tried to make Ben wear his hat.  I certainly didn't want anybody to catch on to the new hairstyle.  I asked Tim if he noticed Ben's hair the night before.  Tim said that he thought Ben looked sort of funny but he didn't know what it was (Dang ADD). Well, this happened during his watch while I was at my Zumba class the night before. (Again, dang ADD)
 We made it to Texas safely and everyone there got a good chuckle.  I still mulled over whether or not to get Ben's hair buzzed.  Well, as fate would have it, Ben made it home with his "V".  In other words, no buzz cut.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Plus, I didn't want my son to (illegally) garner sympathy as a chemotherapy patient. 
By the time we got home from Texas, Ben's "V" was starting to show small traces of hair growth.  So yesterday (just 10 days after the near scalping), I took Ben to the hair place to finally get it buzzed.  I explained to the girl what happened and how long ago it happened.  She looked at Ben's hair and actually recommended that I wait for another week, at least, so that she can buzz it at a 2 1/2 instead of a 1 which is what would have matched Ben's "V".  I agreed, seeing that there was a significant difference in the blade (or whatever you call it) numbers.   So, Ben still have his "V" and I'm patiently waiting until next Friday or Saturday.
This boy of mine has kept me busy lately with his antics.  He has been a source of entertainment for most people.  And me, sometimes.  Just a few days before we left for our trip, Ben intentionally dropped his pants in front of Jackie and the neighbor girls and tried to draw attention to his treasure (you get my drift).  He's 4!  Four years old!  Where did he get this idea?  Well, he was busted by his daddy and immediately brought into the house.  Needless to say, Ben and I had a little chat about appropriate behavior (even if I was giggling inside) and we went over to apologize to the neighbors (who also found it quite humorous).  Ah, boys! 
While we were in Texas, Tim's cousin asked Ben what he wanted to be when he grew up.  Ben responded with " me be a nice daddy" and then ran off to play.  It was too funny and cute and everyone got a good chuckle from that one.  I certainly do hope that Ben ends up being a nice daddy.  And an awesome husband. 
Lately, not a day goes by that Ben hasn't done something to bring a few chuckles.  He is just so full of it lately.  And the so-called safety scissors have been put in a new high place.  Now to see how long it takes Ben to find them.  He's talented like that.

No comments: