Yes, it is!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Future Hoarder?

Yikes.  After being sick most of the week, this morning I finally felt enough energy to clean and get things back in order.  And that included my childrens' rooms, which have been in a perpetual state of confusion pigsty for at least a couple of weeks.
The first rooms I decided to concentrate on this morning were the kids' rooms.  I promised a small allowance if they can put toys away in the proper place, put books back on the bookshelf, put their dirty clothes down the laundry chute, and make their beds.  This started around 9:00 this morning.  After the kids kept poking around and goofing off during that first half hour and then the threat of no money to spend, Ben finally went to work.  And he did a pretty darn good job.  I just needed to do a few adjustments but he worked without complaint.  And it took him less than an hour.
Jackie is a completely different story.  Every time I checked on her, she was still poking along and stopping along her slothful journey to poke along some more.  As I started to hang the clean clothes, the idea struck that I should probably go through the closet for treasures to give away.  You know, outgrown clothes and toys.  But... what I discovered in the abyss of this closet just makes me wonder if I need to bring on the early intervention and run with Jackie to the nearest mental health professional.  Just think TLC's show "Hoarders".  I found candy wrappers, that plastic wrapping that is used to seal new toys and games, broken pieces of toys that I THREW AWAY months ago, among other items that do not belong in bedrooms.  I'm actually a bit embarrassed to give a true description of what this closet held.  Gah! I'm a little quite a bit worried about this child of mine.  Here is an example of her argument with me:
Me: Throw this wrapper away.
J: Why?
M: Because it's trash, that's why.
J: Okay.
A few moments later, after I tossed more trash out of Jackie's abyss of a closet, I discovered that dang wrapper in Jackie's "keep" pile.  Hmm.
Me:  I told you to throw that wrapper away.
J: Why?
Me:  Because it's trash!!!!!!
J: But I was going to use it for something.
Argghhh.  What the heck is she going to use a King Size Rice Krispy treat wrapper for?  Anybody?

After I made sure this said wrapper was buried at the bottom of the trash pile, I went back to work and vacuumed the closet.  And now here we are, 3 1/2 hours later and a few crying fits later, I finally got the closet conquered and Jackie is still working on cleaning her room poking around in her room.  And she wants an allowance.  I'm thinking that I might just be pokey about that.  

No comments: