Yes, it is!

Friday, January 13, 2012

Poop Talk

I never thought I would ever blog about this topic.  This past week, after telling a friend a story about my daughter, she said that I should write it down so I can share with Jackie when she's older.  I immediately told her that I wouldn't do that because I didn't want Jackie to be upset with me later on.  But after being inspired by a friend's story today that she relayed on Facebook, I thought that perhaps it wouldn't be so bad after all to tell the story, especially because it still makes me chuckle when I think about it.  My friend's story involved her 2 little girls, ages 2 & 4, conversing with each other about the color of their poop.  The conversation included how it was even vegetable shaped.  It was quite funny.
So, I'm dedicating this story to my friend, Susan.  A few weeks ago, I bought some ice-cream cones for my kids.  Being kids, they like colorful, sweet stuff.  This was no exception.  The kids thought it was the coolest thing to have rainbow colored ice-cream cones.  But little did they know why I hesitate to buy this type of stuff.  Until now.
Now I totally understand the allure of fun, colorful foods.  I was a kid once.  But thankfully, I've learned lots of lessons from being a kid.  I just wish my kids would understand the lessons of my childhood.
So, the kids enjoyed the pink cones first.  No alarms and no complaints from them as they finished off those pink cones within a few days.   The next color they chose was blue.  And were they bright blue!  And I was in for a treat.  A real treat.
Saturday night into Sunday afternoon, I had been battling a migraine headache.  After church and after giving the kids their lunch, I decided to lay down and tried to get a nap since I had not slept well the night before.  I was enjoying a decent sleep until I was woken by Jackie, with a distressed voice, saying that she had a problem.  I sat up on the bed to see Jackie standing at the bedroom doorway, with her pants down to her ankles.  Jackie knows there has to be a very serious matter going on if I must be woken from a nap.  So, my first thought was that perhaps she might have diarrhea, so I asked her.  "No", she said.  "My poop is blue."  I squinted my eyes and shook my head.  She woke me up for blue poop!  I didn't know whether to laugh at the thought of blue poop or cry about being annoyed by being woken up because of blue poop.  I reassured Jackie that she was going to be fine and that the blue ice-cream cone was to blame.  Jackie seemed to be fine with that explanation until later in the evening when she came out of the bathroom distressed.  Again.  She still had blue poop.  I had to stifle a laugh and reassure Jackie that she was going to be okay. 
Sometime later, Ben went into the bathroom.  It wasn't long before he came running out and calling for his dad and me to come look at something in the bathroom.  Lo and behold!  More blue poop.  But Ben, being my fearless one, thought it was so funny and the coolest thing to have blue poop.  I just shook my head and told the kids "no more rainbow colored cones after this box is finished." 
When Jackie asked for her nightly treat of ice-cream, she asked me to put it in a bowl.  Looking at me with her big, blue eyes, she told me she didn't want her "poop to get hurt again."  I had to stifle my laughter again.  But Ben?  Well, he insisted on the last blue cone.  He's totally cool with blue poop.
This is just further proof that there is never a dull moment in my crazy household.  But thankfully, all the rainbow cones are gone and we will be returning to the regular color cones.  Or none at all.

No comments: