Yes, it is!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thankful Day 2

Today I am thankful for 2 good feet.  About 2 months ago, I endured a very painful flare-up of plantar fasciitis.  It was extremely painful to walk on my left foot.  This started on a Friday night.  The next day on Saturday, I continued to have extreme pain and ended up not going to the gym to work out.  On Saturday evening, I went over to our rental home to finish changing some blinds.  I had just finished changing the very last one when the step ladder gave way underneath me.  I felt immediate pain in my right foot and I knew right away that I must have fractured it.  Within minutes, my foot was severely swollen.  I slid down the stairs on my butt because it was so painful to walk on either foot.  It was extremely painful drive home but thankfully it was just a couple of blocks. I went to the ER the next day where it was confirmed that I incurred a serious fracture in my right foot.  And not only did I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot, but I also had bone spurs. 
A couple of days later, I was able to get an appointment to see the orthopedic surgeon.  The ER nurse had made it sound like that I made need a cast and possibly even surgery. Thankfully, the surgeon did not see the need for surgery and he also had me continue to use the boot instead of placing a cast.  The first couple of weeks were extremely painful.  And I gained a new perspective on what my daughter probably experienced after her last major foot surgery.
During these last couple of months when I was sidelined from the gym, as depressing as it was, I gained a new appreciation for having 2 feet to walk when they aren't injured.  I really took my feet for granted before.  And also during this time, my left foot which was affected by plantar fasciitis, was able to get much needed rest. Two weeks ago, the doctor released me to return to the gym but no running or anything that required jumping. 
This morning, I went to the doctor for a 4th follow-up visit and an x-ray.  The x-ray showed that the fractured bone had shifted, which is why I have a knotty area where the fracture was.  But thankfully, the doctor was confident that it doesn't require further treatment.  The doctor also released me fully to return to previous activities although it will still be a few weeks before I can comfortably run again.  But that is due to the left foot, not the fractured foot. My left heel has started to flare up again so the doctor gave me a prescription topical anti-inflammatory to try.  If this doesn't help, then the next step is an injection.  I am hoping and praying that the topical medication will work and that I can avoid the injection.
So, today, I am thankful that my feet are in good working order, although not yet 100%.  I am thankful that I did not require surgery.  And I am thankful for the new perspective that I gained during these last couple of months.  And lastly, I am so thankful that my feet are well enough that I even registered to attend a Zumba instructor certification class in another month.  I am so excited about that.
And lastly, I really appreciate having 2 feet and I no longer take them for granted.  I love my feet, as ugly as they are.

No comments: