Yes, it is!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Speaking of Compassion

So, I started a new Bible reading plan on compassion.  I am a compassionate person so the title of this plan piqued my interest.  So far, I'm on day 4 and I've only understood how how day 2 relates to compassion.  The other days?  I'm not so sure.  But that's beside the point.
I was really touched yesterday afternoon when I attended a Thursday afternoon Zumba class.  I rarely am able to attend this particular class due to Jackie's therapy appointments on Thursday afternoons. But since Jackie's physical therapy was canceled, I had the opportunity to go to Zumba.  And I am so glad I did.  I was touched by the 3 special needs individuals who attended the class. They brought a smile to my face, especially the young man with Down Syndrome. 
have occasionally seen one person with special needs come to Zumba but I had not seen her in some time.  I have overheard a couple of people say that the skirt she was wearing was a bit annoying.  The "skirt" happens to be a belly dancing scarf with those metal chime things.  I never let it bother me, especially since this girl kept to herself and did her best to move along with the class.  This girl was at Zumba yesterday as well as the young man with Down Syndrome.  This young man was having so much fun.  He was way over on the side where a helper kept a close watch on him and where he wouldn't bother anybody.  Even though he didn't move much along with the class, he did move in his own way and he was having a great time.  It really warmed my heart.  I couldn't help but smile and even chuckle at his cuteness.  After a half hour, his helper led him out of the class.  During one of the breaks in between songs, I noticed this lady walk toward me saying that she was trying.  I recognized her as a worker at the YMCA and she is somewhat developmentally disabled.  I'm not sure how old she is but she is really cute and so sweet.  And she always has a smile on her face when she greets people at the YMCA( Part of her job at the Y is greeting people and handing out flyers.) I reassured her that she was doing a great job in Zumba.  It was her first time. She wasn't getting all the moves but she kept her body moving right along with the class. I was so proud of her for sticking it out for that entire hour and afterward, I encouraged her to try it again.  My friend, G, and I told her that we would help her learn as best as we can. Her face lit up.  I wonder how many people actually take time to show kindness and compassion toward her.   I look forward to seeing my special friend at Zumba again. 
I've been thinking about becoming certified to teach Zumba so that I can teach Zumba Gold and Zumbatomic.  Zumba Gold is for those who have limited mobility or just don't like the faster pace of regular Zumba.  Zumbatomic is geared toward children but I'm certain that it could be tailored for the special needs population, too.  Yesterday's experience with seeing those 3 special needs people having such a fun time despite being "different" from the rest of us really stirred a deeper desire to get that Zumba certification.  I would love to start a class for this special population where they can just dance to their hearts' desire without the awkward stares. When I woke up this morning, that was one of the first things on my mind again. I just love these special people.  So, I guess I better get a move on and get that certification. 

No comments: