Yes, it is!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Jackie's First Day of First Grade

My beautiful baby girl is a first grader now.  Open house was this past Monday.  We all got to meet Jackie's new teacher for the year and see the classroom.  I really like the teacher and she seems to be very organized and very warm toward the kids.  And what makes it even better is that Mrs. W is a fellow animal lover!
Yesterday was the first day of school, albeit just an hour and a half.  I don't understand why such a short day other than for the students to understand where they are supposed to go and to meet their teachers if they had not already done so.  I let Jackie ride the bus to and from the school.  Jackie was so excited about getting on the bus that she insisted on waiting at the bus stop 10 minutes before the scheduled arrival time. When it was time to get Jackie from the bus stop after school, Ben and I went out to greet her.  As soon as the bus rolled to a stop, I noticed that Jackie had a long face and she looked as if she was about to start crying.  She started down the steps of the bus toward me and as soon as she was completely off the bus, Jackie started to sob.  She said something about getting into trouble.  I looked up at the bus driver who explained that the boy sitting next to Jackie was complaining that Jackie wouldn't leave him alone and so she moved him to another seat.  The bus driver tried to reassure Jackie that she was not in trouble and then she reassured me that Jackie actually had not done anything to the boy.  The boy was just trying to start trouble, apparently.  My heart broke for my baby girl.  The last thing she wants to do is cause trouble at school or on the bus. (I wish that was the case at home) After the bus driver tried to reassure Jackie, it took just a few more moments for Jackie to calm down.  I then took Jackie for a celebratory lunch at Chick-Fil-A. 
Today was the first full day of school.  Jackie was excited again.  I was afraid after yesterday's incident that she would be hesitant to ride the bus but she was not, thankfully.  After school, Ben and I went to the bus stop to wait for Jackie.  And as usual, Ben charmed the bus driver when he wrapped his arms in a tight hug around Jackie.  I want to get a picture of that but Ben always moves away quickly whenever he sees me trying to take his picture.  But here is a picture of my sweet girl on her first official day of school. She's growing up so much.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

She's sooo cute! We always have issues with the bus. My son will start second grade on August 29th and I can feel myself getting tense as the day gets closer. I hope this is the last of your bus worries and that your little sweetheart has a wonderful year in first grade!

Mandi at boredombustingmommy.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

Thank you Mandi. Jackie usually loves to ride the bus. I'm going to check out your blog. Thanks again.