Yes, it is!

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 5 Bible Reading Plan on Compassion

Today's devotion is titled The Stewardship Implications of Bodily Resurrection. I'm not quite sure I understand the title but I understand the devotion much better than the last 2 days' devotions.  The devotion mentions how God is not only concerned about the salvation of souls, but He's also concerned for the relief of poverty, hunger, and injustice.  Whatever wealth any of us has is a gift from God, no matter how hard any of us works for it.  In the end, it all belongs to God, according to this devotion.  According to the devotion, those who are able to give generously but do not, are lacking in compassion and are unjust.  I must admit that I pretty much agree with this statement.  I read an article several months about charitable giving and which segment of the population was the most generous.  I was pleasantly surprised and a bit saddened at the same time.  You can read about that here. I've been witness to the lack of generosity within the upper class.
My family is by no means rich. And we are not poor although, our income takes a substantial hit due to out of pocket expenses for our childrens' medical needs. Nearly $500 just for this month plus we had some car and home repair expenses.  It gets stressful at times but I feel so blessed that we are able to even provide for our childrens' basic needs.  Sure, it would be nice to be able to just go out and buy whatever fancies us. Or to buy a bigger house.  But our childrens' needs take precedence.  But we also still find it within us to give to our favorite causes.  I want our children to learn compassion and generosity toward others.

No comments: