Yes, it is!

Friday, July 1, 2011

Special Dinner Guests

My family had special dinner guests this evening.  As excited as I was, I was also a tad nervous.  I don't really know why.  We rarely entertain in our own home so perhaps I was worried about my hosting abilities.  Or perhaps it was because this was our pastor and his wife and son.  It doesn't matter now because it turned out wonderfully. 
I have to give my friend, Katrina, credit for the idea of inviting a pastor over for a dinner.  Several months ago, Katrina and her family invited their own pastor and his family over for dinner.  Katrina shared with me a conversation that she had with her sister, J, who is a pastor's wife.  When Katrina told J about the plans to invite her own pastor for dinner, J told Katrina how much she appreciated those plans.  J explained to Katrina that so many people think pastors and their families are often too busy and thus are often not invited to congregants homes.  I admit that I was one of those who thought pastors and their wives were too busy for somebody like me.  And so many pastors wives whom I've met over the years just seemed so... out of reach?  I've always felt too inadequate to even think about hosting a pastor's wife.  Until recently, that is.
So, tonight was the night to host our special guests, and it was such an enjoyable time.  I chose one of my own family's favorite meals and it was a hit with Pastor B and his wife.  M brought over home-made mint ice cream and brownies.  Tim and I enjoyed getting to know Pastor B (and M) better.  All in all, it was a really nice time, albeit a bit short.  It was just like enjoying company with regular folk.  Well, they are regular folk and I love that. 
Many thanks to my friend, Katrina, who unintentionally gave me the idea to extend a dinner invitation to my pastor.  If not for her, I may not have even considered doing it because like so many other people, I always thought pastors were just too busy for people like me.   Thanks again Katrina!

No comments: