Yes, it is!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sneaky Kids

My kids have become quite sneaky lately.  And they think they're doing a good job at it, too.  It's too bad that their body language and sometimes the physical evidence gives them away.  Of course, being that Ben looks up to his big sister, he is learning the tricks of the trade from Jackie.
Ben is especially sneaky with his Daddy's Coke.  I can't tell you how many times I have told Tim to keep his open Coke cans out of Ben's reach.  And many times, Tim will return to his Coke, only to find it empty.  A few weeks ago, I treated myself to a Caffeine-free Coke.  I had it over ice in one of my insulated glasses.  I was nearly finished with it when I set it on my kitchen counter to go tend to something else.  A little while later, I noticed my glass was gone.  I looked for it for a few moments but then I got distracted with something else and forgot about the missing glass.  A couple of days later, I realized that I still had not found my glass.  I knew it wasn't in Ben's room because that was one of the first places that I looked after it went missing.  Since it had not appeared for a couple of days, I figured that Tim must have washed it so he could use it in his truck. (When he does that, that particular item is forever lost in the abyss of his truck).
A couple of weeks after the missing glass episode, I decided to move Ben's long pants to the armoire in his room.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the armoire to be greeted by my missing cup, emptied.  I just had to shake my head and laugh.  Yeah, he got me this time.
This afternoon, the kids were begging for snacks.  Again.  I said no, of course.  Again.  I was getting ready to prepare dinner. The kids retreated to Ben's room where I could hear them talking and fussing.  Then Jackie came out and went into the kitchen.  I heard some rustling around and before I could get up to investigate, I saw Jackie run through the family room back into Ben's room.  I asked Jackie what she had in her hand.  She denied having anything.  I insisted that she come back and face me and show me what she had. She came out, with a sheepish smile and showed me her empty hands.  I then asked her what she took into the bedroom and reminded her of the rule of no food in the bedrooms.  She still denied having anything.  As I was getting up to go investigate, I saw Lucy (aka Dumb Dog) go into Ben's room with her tail up and her nose down, sniffing for food.  As I reached Ben's room, I saw Lucy rooting around under Ben's bed.  Aha!  Caught!  Dumb Dog really is good for something.  She led me right to the scene of the crime.  And she was chowing down.  On vanilla wafers.  Hahaha. Again, I just had to shake my head and laugh. I love that dog.  I really do. Even if her nickname is Dumb Dog.  And I love my kids. 
I picked up the remaining vanilla wafers and the kids immediately started to whine and squeal.  Then Jackie complained that I was making Ben sad because she got the vanilla wafers for him.  Yeah right, kid.   And I love you, too.

No comments: