Yes, it is!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Once A Stray

This post is dedicated to Nel one of our favorite therapy dogs who visits St. Louis Children's Hospital during the week.  Nel is a beautiful, sweet, gentle, and loving dalmation who brings smiles and joy to almost everyone who encounters her at the hospital. Just like the title states, Nel was once a stray.  She was nursed back to health by her wonderful mom, June. June immediately recognized the gentle nature that Nell exuded and set about getting Nel certified as a therapy dog.  I remember the first time I heard about Nel.  Jackie's physical therapist, J, was telling me how Nel and June would visit J's daughter, E, at the hospital when E was being treated for leukemia.  My kids and I were so excited when we finally got the chance to meet Nel during one of our many hospital visits.  The excitement never wanes and each time we see Nell, we are as excited to see her as we were the time before.  Nel is such a popular fixture that there is a stash of treats for her at the main reception desk. 
 Here is Nell, begging for a treat at the reception desk:
Nel has a book that was recently sent to the publisher.   I am so excited for her and I will be one of the first customers.  If any of my readers would like to support a good cause, please consider purchasing her book. I will give details as soon as I get them.  Right now, it looks like it will be between 3-6 months before it is printed.  I will post more details as I get them.
Here is a link with video and more information about Nel.  Nel has the best job. Ever. Make sure you turn off the music player on the side of the blog.

It always warms my heart anytime I see an animal visiting at a hospital or nursing home.  When Jackie had her last foot surgery, another therapy dog, Phoebe, paid a visit to Jackie the day following surgery.  I don't know about Jackie, but I loved it.  I've always wanted to have a certified therapy dog (or duck? I love ducks) to take on visits to nursing homes and hospitals.  But alas, I always end up with the neurotic dogs. Well, actually Lucy is great with people and especially children and other animals.  But there's just one problem holding her back from being a therapy dog. She is totally motivated by food.  I can just see her now, getting up on somebody's bed in order to reach whatever food might be sitting on somebody's hospital tray.   Even the mental picture of it horrifies me.  For an even better picture, think "Marley and Me".  Beside, Lucy isn't too fond of wearing clothes.

No comments: