Yes, it is!

Friday, June 3, 2011

Jackie's Last Day as a Kindergartener

I know I'm behind in updating.  This week has just been incredibly busy with the start of Summer break.
Last Friday was Jackie's last day of school.  I was tad bit sad as this meant that my baby is growing up so fast.  Which means that I'm getting older.  This past year has seen a lot of growth from Jackie.  Maybe not so much physically but maturity-wise.  Jackie's vocabulary has also grown by leaps and bounds.  I still never cease to be amazed by some of the phrases she uses now.  And she can come up with some funny stuff. 
This past year has also seen Jackie grow into a social butterfly.  She still gets shy sometimes but nowhere near what she used to be.  I remember her preschool days when Jackie's teachers would report to me that Jackie still wouldn't talk.  She would participate in the activities and she would be animated during outdoor playtime.  But inside the classroom? It would take Jackie a couple of months before she would finally let everyone hear her cute little voice. No longer is that the case.  In fact, she can be downright demanding with other people, embarrassingly so. 
Jackie made so many new friends this past school year.  Of course, we all know how little girls (and big girls) can get catty, and Jackie would come home upset sometimes because one of her friends decided to be friends with somebody else that day.  Girls!  Drama!  Does it ever end?
Jackie's teacher had nothing but good to say about Jackie all year.  When Jackie got her first red note, Mrs. G felt terrible sending it home.  I'll never forget that day when I picked up Jackie from school.  She came out of the school, sobbing and supported by one of her little friends.  Jackie was so upset that I couldn't understand what she was saying.  I finally looked in Jackie's backpack and there it was.  A red note.  Red notes are not good.  Unfortunately, Jackie followed a couple of other girls running down the hallway, going from water fountain to water fountain.  The girls, who I found out later were sort of trouble makers, invited Jackie to join them.  Of course, Jackie followed suit.  The red note explained what happened and instructed us parents to talk to our child about their behavior.  Then we had to sign the note and send it back to school.  We did talk to Jackie about not following others unless her teacher said it was okay.  I knew as upset as Jackie was about getting that red note, she more than likely was going to strive to avoid another one.  Jackie is sort of a perfectionist and getting that red note devastated her. Well, about a week later, Jackie came home from school on the bus and when she came into the house, she immediately told me that she got another red note.  I couldn't believe my ears and I exclaimed "what for?".  Then Jackie smiled and said "just kidding."  You can read that here. Silly girl!
Well, Jackie nearly got through the rest of the school year without another red note.  Until mid-April, that is.  I picked up Jackie from school and as we headed home, Jackie casually told me that she got a red note.  I figured she was kidding me again being that she wasn't upset in the least.  But unfortunately, that was not the case.  And fortunately, Jackie realized the silliness of it all and didn't seem to be fazed by it.  In fact, I can picture her rolling eyes when she got that last red note.  You can read about that here
All in all, Jackie did exceptionally well during her Kindergarten year and I hope that she continues on this trend as she enters 1st grade this Fall. 
I ended up substitute teaching a full day in the neighboring community but I was able to see Jackie off to her last day of school.  Jackie's daddy greeted Jackie upon her return from school.  I thought about my baby girl all day long and I was anxious to get home to see my soon-to-be 1st grader. 
After I got home from work, I noticed a yellow envelope full of papers in Jackie's backpack.  I'm not really one to brag about my children's academic accomplishments although I am proud of how intelligent my children are.  So the following is a shameless brag.  I looked at Jackie's report card first and she got all S+'s.  There was also a sheet of paper with some test scores.  Apparently, the Kindergartners were tested at the start of the school year, mid-school year, and end of the year.  For the first two, Jackie scored average or above average.  But the final score showed well above average in every category.  I am a very proud parent, for sure.  This cements my confidence that Jackie is going to do exceptionally well.  This is such great news to me and is confirmation that the CP has not affected Jackie's cognitive abilities.  You go Jackie! I'm so proud of you!
Here is my baby on her first day of Kindergarten:
Here is Jackie on her last day of Kindergarten:

No comments: