Yes, it is!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

First Dental Visit

Yesterday, the kids had routine dental appointments.  This was Ben's very first official dental exam.   Jackie is an old pro already.  After Jackie's last appointment, I asked the dentist to allow Ben to sit in the chair to see his reaction because I had planned to make his first appointment with Jackie's next appointment.  At that time, Ben seemed to be okay with sitting in the chair and letting the dentist just peek into his mouth.  Until yesterday,  I was really unsure how Ben would do although I was fairly confident that Ben would sit and let the dentist "count" his teeth.  I was in for real surprise.
When Ben was called back, the hygienist immediately started to show Ben all the stuff in her exam room.  The hygienist showed Ben how the suction tube worked.  Ben thought that was pretty cool.  Ben was even able to wear his own pair of gloves to "help" during the exam.  Blue gloves, of course.  At this point, I was still unsure if Ben would cooperate with having his teeth cleaned.  We were mainly there to have a first official exam.  After the hygienist showed Ben everything, the hygienist turned on the little TV so Ben could watch some cartoons while the hygienist looked at Ben's teeth.  He did so well so I suggested that the hygienist try to do a cleaning.  I was amazed at how well Ben did.  He let the hygienist clean his teeth and apply fluoride!  I was so proud of Ben.  The dentist came in to do the exam and again, Ben cooperated so well. 





Both kids got a clean bill of dental health.  No cavities, woo hoo!  Ben has a slight cross-bite which will be monitored for the time being. Jackie has 4 more loose teeth, 1 of which is going to fall out any day now.  And one of her 6-year molars is almost completely erupted and another molar is just starting to poke through.  My baby is growing up so quickly.  

6 comments:

Cindi said...

It's so nice when you have a good hygienist. My sons dental visits have gone wonderfully because his hygienist lets him use the utensils. He even helped clean my teeth! I'm so thankful for a great dental place. I wanted to pass along this Mom's Guide for caring for our kids teeth. It gives great ideas on how to keep our kids teeth healthy and even offers tips on making it fun. I hope it helps you in your journey on keeping your kids teeth up to par too. http://www.1dental.com/moms-guide/

Samantha said...

Cindi, thanks for the link to that guide. It looks really helpful, especially to those who are not as diligent about dental health. I've always been diligent about my own dental health and am trying to pass that on to my kids. Having worked as a dental assistant for a couple of years during my 20s, I saw some very serious cases of poor dental health. Imagine having to do a full mouth extraction on a child under 2 years. I was a witness to that on more than one occasion. And most of it was result of bottle mouth decay.

Doris Pender said...

It's really not surprising that you were worried about your kid's first dental appointment. In fact, I think that's pretty normal. And I applaud you for working to keep your kids' teeth healthy.

Caprice Eirls said...

They have no cavities? That's great news! I guess one of the reasons why Ben was able to get through just fine is because of the cartoons on TV. But it's more likely because you were there.

Ethan Pew said...

That's good! Kids are so brave! They didn't fear the dental procedure. Do you give them toys before an appointment to keep them from worrying during dental check-ups?

Lashon Condray said...

Having kids free of cavities is something to be proud about. It reflects your good work as a mom. Dentists normally give their kid-patients some freebies after the procedure. What did they get for a reward?