Yes, it is!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Egg Decorating Success

I am ashamed to admit that I had never decorated Easter eggs with my children.  Until today, that is.  Since we don't often eat eggs, I didn't see any reason for dyeing eggs.  And?  I just didn't want the mess.  I've never been one for messy situations, especially with my children.  In fact, I finally started allowing Jackie to play with Play-Doh after she had her foot surgery over a year ago.  Can you believe that?  Play-Doh is just messy.  It gets everywhere.  And it really bothers me when the colors get mixed up with each other.  I don't know why.  One would think that I am a neat freak.  Well, I used to be.  Marriage helped to break that control.  When Jackie came along, I was so lucky that she was a little neat freak, too.  Things had to be in their place or she was not happy.  It was good in a way but bad in other ways.  It was almost as if Jackie was already a perfectionist and she wasn't even 2 years old. 
Then Ben came along.  Then he started crawling and getting into things and making messes.  Big messes.  That would upset Jackie.  Fast forward to today, she has actually become my messy child.  I don't know what happened.  Her room is an atrocious mess.  I just have to close the door. 
My house is a constant mess, too, no thanks to my children whose main goal in life right now is to destroy every single square inch of my home.  No amount of yelling or even bribery helps. 
So, dyeing eggs these past several years did not appeal to me.  I just did not need that additional mess.  But this week, I decided that I needed to do something different and fun with the kids.  I bought this egg dye spinner which ended up being a huge fail.  After I exchanged that at the store for something else, I set up everything at the table again and gathered the kids at the table.  They were so excited to color eggs.  The kids had fun and there was minimal fussing at each other.  And I even dyed a few myself.  I actually enjoyed doing that with my kids.  The eggs aren't beautiful by any means but they are fun and colorful. I survived and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year. 





I told Jackie that now we have to eat the eggs all week.  Her response?  "Eewwww, no way!"  So now, what to do with almost 2 dozen colored eggs?  Any takers?

No comments: