Yes, it is!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Lies My Kids Believe

Is it bad that I lie to my kids sometimes? 
There were many times where I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall when I asked my children to pick up their toys and put them away.  Threats of throwing them away or giving them away didn't work.  Putting the toys in "time out" worked sometimes. One time, I actually started scooping up everything into a garbage bag.  My kids quickly went into action and grabbed the stuff that I had not yet reached.  Then they cried when they watched me take the garbage bag (full of toys they couldn't reach in time) outside.  Of course, I didn't really throw them away.  I just hid them outside.  But my children though I threw them away and of course, they were traumatized enough to take me seriously the next time I asked them to pick up toys.  Not much time passed before the kids forgot the lesson.  So, I resorted to the vacuum cleaner.  I told the kids that I was going to suck up all their toys with the vacuum.  I guess they didn't believe me because they just looked at me as if to dare me.  Well, I attached the nozzle tool onto the vacuum cleaner, turned it on, and started toward the first toy within my reach.  When the kids saw the nozzle pick up the toy as to suck it into the abyss, the kids sprang into action, and screaming, started to scramble to pick up their toys.  Of course, I was hysterically laughing inside. My kids actually believed it was possible that the vacuum cleaner would suck up all their toys.  Well, this ploy worked for awhile.  So now the toys get put away if I have to pick them up after the kids ignore me.  They don't seem to be too bothered by, either, anymore.  Until today.
This afternoon, I came home from church, prepared lunch for the kids, and while the kids were eating, I decided to vacuum.  I had asked the kids earlier why the cable remote was on the floor.  I thought they ignored me.  I had not yet picked up the remote when I started to vacuum.  But Jackie must have had a flashback to the days when the vacuum cleaner threatened to pick up toys because Jackie sprang into action and ran and picked up the remote and put it on the coffee table.
I can't tell you how many times I have caught my children jumping on their beds or my bed.  That is a huge peeve of mine and I let the kids have it when I catch them in the act.  Last night, Tim took over the family room TV and sent the kids to my room to watch TV.  As I came into my bedroom after unloading the dryer of clothes, I caught Jackie jumping on my bed.  Hmm, how am I going to get these kids to take me seriously.  Then suddenly, I thought of the camera.  I just set my camera on top of the armoire and told Jackie that the camera was going to take pictures of her jumping on my bed.  Voila! Jackie believed me and the jumping was exterminated.  Perhaps I should just set the other camera on top of the entertainment center to stop the kids from jumping on my couch.  The lies I tell my kids!  I'm bad, I know.

2 comments:

We take it day by day said...

Our kids are 3, 6. and 8 and we are recently going through the exact same thing!!! The threat of throwing them away has helped but I still need to repeat myself constantly. I can not stand asking them to pick up their things anymore! I am not their maid. I have to keep this entire house neat nevermind pick up the same toys multiple times a day! AHHH :) I just wanted to say that I so relate!

Samantha said...

Thank you for relating. It's funny because I even threaten to do that with my husband, too. He's almost as bad as the kids and like you, I refuse to become everyone's maid. I have been known to call hubby into the kitchen to throw his own napkins away. LOL!