Yes, it is!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Vitamin D Deficient

I got one of the results of my blood labwork today.  It looks like I am deficient in Vitamin D.  Apparently, my number should be over 40 but right now it is at 13.  Obviously, that's a huge difference.
The nurse put in an order for a prescription Vitamin D supplement for 2000 IUs per day.  That sounds like a lot and it is.  And, she recommended that I drink orange juice fortified with Vitamin D and calcium as I do not drink milk or eat cheese.  And while I take the supplement, I will have to get bloodwork done every 3 months to ensure that I'm not taking too much.  I guess it can be dangerous to consume too much Vitamin D.
I did some research after getting the results and I am hopeful that by taking this supplement, I will soon be able to start running again. I've had shin splints for several months now and recently, I've  been experiencing symptoms of plantar fasciitis.  I know shin splints are common and I also know that if they continue, it can lead to other stuff like stress fractures.  I've been wondering if my heel pain is related to the shin splints.  After researching vitamin D deficiency, I am starting to believe if the recent bone pains I've been experiencing is also related to the deficiency.  I did not mention the bone pains during my doctor visit last week because I really thought it was related to working out a lot and of course, aging.  But what I read is leading me to believe otherwise.
I will hopefully pick up my prescription tomorrow or Friday by the latest.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this will make me feel physically.  I hope to see some results quickly.  Even though I don't particularly enjoy running, I would really like to get back into it if I can get these shin splints, heel pain, and bone pains under control.  Hopefully, the Vitamin D supplement will be the answer.
Even though I've been experiencing more bone pain in recent months, I have not let it hold me back from my fitness routine.  You can call me obsessed at the moment.  Since starting my fitness routine nearly a year ago, the positive effects have outnumbered the negative.  So needless to say, I'm going to continue to work through the pain with the hope that this new vitamin prescription will help.

1 comment:

His Special Kids' Families said...

Hi Samantha,

I just popped over from Blog Frog, and wanted to let you know that I had the exact same problem several years ago.

I was on about 8,000 IUs of vitamin D, and I don't remember my levels, but they were pretty low...

I have tons of information that I can share with you, but I will also tell you to make sure that you take magnesium. I still take the Calm brand, which is a powder that you mix into hot water.

Anyway, if you are interested, you can go over to my about page and email me.

God's blessings to you:)