Yes, it is!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Harvest Time

It literally is. Harvest time, that is.  My kids literally brought in the harvest of candy.  Between the school trunk or treat last night and the Fall Festival this evening, my kids have been loaded with candy and other treats.  After the Fall Festival today, we had to go to some of the neighbors to show off the costumes.  And of course, Ben and Jackie collected even more candy.  Ben really got into it this year.  He was so cute the way he would go up to the doors and immediately start checking out their loot.  Between Ben and Jackie, we now have more candy than I ever imagined would enter this house.  Of course, some of the harvest will get recycled.  I already have a container of it for Tim to take to work. 

Ben was dressed as a zoo keeper this year.  It was very appropriate for my animal loving boy.  He looked especially cute with the zoo hat on.  I was so proud of Ben for keeping it on, too, as he usually does not like to keep things on his head.
Jackie was dressed as a black poodle.  I was proud of myself as my creative side came out of dormancy to create her outfit.  Now it was not all hand-made by me but the idea was mine.  Last Spring, I bought an outfit at the BX on clearance for 75% off.  It is a 2-piece with the pants attached to a tutu and the top is made of chenille with a pink sequin poodle on the front.  I thought right away that it would make a cute Halloween costume if I can find some poodle ears and perhaps some pink sequin shoes.  I had it in the back of Jackie's closet and forgot about it until recently.  After I remembered that I had this outfit, I set about looking for some black poodle ears and some shoes.  I found a pair of pink sequined shoes at Target this past week.  They were the last pair and they were on clearance.  Score!  I looked at several costume stores for black poodle ears to no avail.  I found plenty of black cat ears, though.  So, I decided that I was just going to have to make the ears myself.  I had no clue how I was going to do it but I went to Michael's craft store to look for whatever might help me make these ears.  I got a blank headband, black felt, and chenille pipe cleaner.  I covered the headband with the felt then I cut out ears with the remaining felt.  Then I took the chenille pipe cleaner and wound it around the front of both of the felt ears and hot glued it on.  Then I took the remaining pipe cleaner and lined the headband with it.  I got pink ribbon and made bows for the ears.  I must say that they turned out pretty good.  Jackie was so excited about them.  Last night during the school event, several people commented on Jackie's poodle costume.  I was so glad that my ears turned out to really look like the poodle ears.
This evening, I took the kids to the church Fall Festival.  It was nice because it was not crowded.  The kids got the faces painted, Jackie got a balloon sculpture, and they played games.  They also enjoyed the trunk or treat and the games during that.  There was also food which the kids enjoyed, too.   There was an inflatable, too, but it was starting to get too chilly for me so after playing a few more games, we left.
Of course, after we got home, we just had to go visit a few neighbors to show off the costumes while Tim stayed home to pass out candy.  Plus, our neighbors in the cul-de-sac were having a block party while handing out candy.  So after visiting a few houses, the kids and I went over to the cul-de-sac where the kids joined the other kids to play.  That cul-de-sac is so cool because they are always having block parties.  Finally, it was time to go home and get baths and get to bed.
It was nearly 9:00 pm before I finally got the kids into the bathtub.  While I was bathing them, I heard a loud knock, actually it was more like banging, at the door.  Tim and I both jumped up because it startled us.  It was LOUD.  Now I know that it wasn't trick or treaters.  Or was it?  Our outside lights were off, the door was closed, and it was nearly 9:00 pm.  We opened the door and sure enough, it was a small group of trick or treaters.  I was a little irritated because they startled us, it was late, and our lights were off.  Plus, I was trying to get the kids bathed and ready for bed.  Ugh.  Where were the parents?  I don't know but irritated, I ran to get the candy but I had no problem telling those kids that it was a little late and they should not be banging on doors for trick or treating when the outside lights are off.  
Tomorrow is Jackie's birthday and I am taking cupcakes to her class tomorrow. Boy, those kids are really going to be hopped up on sugar tomorrow.  Candy today and cake tomorrow.   I tried to get Jackie to choose something else but she wanted Dora cupcakes.  So Dora cupcakes it shall be.  Happy Birthday to my little girl!





No comments: