Yes, it is!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Plea For Help

I need help.  Well, actually, I'm not the one needing help personally. I'm trying to help a precious soul find a new home.

Okay, here goes.  I'm trying not to be judgmental about this family but I just hate, hate, HATE when people don't keep their commitments when it comes to helpless members of the family.  As most of you know, I coach a soccer team of 5-year olds.  The mother of one of the boys on my team, I'll call her J, is getting ready to have her 5th baby any day now.  The family is military and they have orders to PCS to Alaska mid-October.  In addition to the soon-to-be 5 kids, the family currently includes 3 dogs and 2 cats.  Well, at least, for the next couple of weeks.  Two of the dogs will be going back to a rescue organization here where they originally came from.  I'm not sure what is happening to the cats.  But the third dog is a blond lab.  The family brought him back from Germany when they came back stateside a few years ago.  The dog is 7 years old now.  He is a great dog and was raised with kids. He is great with the kids.  J told me that the family is going to have this precious dog put to sleep because they won't be able to take him to Alaska due to the move.  And unfortunately, the dog is in early stage of heartworm (very treatable! and preventable!) and if they take him to the pound, he would be put to sleep, anyway.  They brought this dog over from Germany!  And now they are going to dispose of him! Because there won't be room in the family minivan for the move to Alaska.   Now, I understand that with 5 kids and a minivan towing a small trailer, space will be severely limited. Especially when traveling from this area cross country and through Canada before reaching Alaska.  Ten days is a long time with kids to travel in this way.  But there are other options available to keep this dog as part of the family.  I realize airfare for a pet can be expensive but with advance planning, one might be able to find a deal on airfare. There are also pet transporters available.  But, I'm trying not to judge and I do understand this family's situation.  But this dog's situation still disturbs me.  I personally would do everything within my power to keep my pets with me or arrange for their care until I can have them re-join me.
If I didn't already have 2 dogs, I would take this dog, no problem.  I've always wanted a blond lab but I refuse to purchase a dog from a breeder as there are so many other dogs in shelters in need of permanent homes.  I admit that I do have a full-breed mini Aussie but he was a rescue.  Our other dog is just 100% mongrel. 
Okay, so I am now asking for help in finding a home for this precious lab.  I am also willing to financially assist with the expense of treating the heartworms.  Since we are by no means rich, one way that I am hoping to raise funds for this dog is to sell Avon.  I have an Avon account through which I order items for myself and just a couple of friends.  Needless to say, I don't make any money from Avon right now.  But, if anybody is interested in buying anything from Avon, I will donate all the proceeds to the care of this dog.  I want to help him find a home where he can continue to provide the unconditional love that he has provided to his current family for the last 7 years.  Or even better (or maybe not?), perhaps I can raise enough funds to send him via airliner to Alaska after the family arrives and gets settled.  Then whatever funds are leftover can be used for the heartworm treatment.  I know the family loves their animals and I'm sure they're feeling overwhelmed right now, especially with the arrival of a newborn coupled with moving preparations.  I wish they had planned better for the welfare of their pets in case of a situation like this.  The packers are going to be packing up the family belongings in just a couple of weeks. 
Please, anyone who is reading this, help me help this precious dog.  It would be great for this dog to be able to live out the remainder of his life in a loving home where he can return the love unconditionally. 
I've never felt comfortable asking for help but when it comes to animals and children (especially those with special needs), I have a real passion for these causes.  Please help me spread the word about this beautiful blond lab. 

No comments: