Yes, it is!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jackie, the Star Student

Well, after a rough night last night and rough morning this morning, Jackie came home with a star student award.  While sitting on the sofa after school with Jackie, I asked Jackie to tell me about her day.  She shared how she and her friend, B, fell because they were running.  And Mrs. Gain had so no running.  That was lesson number one today.  Then she shared how another girl hit Jackie because Jackie was walking too slow to the lunch room.  Well, my blood pressure went up slightly but I made a mental note to talk to Mrs. Gain about this.  Jackie does walk slower than most of her peers because of her CP.  Jackie is weak on her left side which has caused a permanent limp.  I knew this day was coming but I didn't think it would be this early in Kindergarten.  Jackie said Mrs. Gain did not know about this hitting episode. 
When I asked Jackie what she learned today in class, she said that she learned about Star Student. The conversation went something like this:
Me: Tell me what you learned today.
Jackie:  I learned about star student.
Me: Yeah?  What about star student?
Jackie: Well, there were 3 star students today.
Me: Who were they?
Jackie: Me and 2 other people.  There were 2 yellow papers and 1 blue paper.  I got the blue paper.
Me: Who got the yellow papers?
Jackie: I don't know but they were brown.
Me: Brown?
Jackie: Yeah, like Tangela.
I couldn't help but chuckle.  Out of the mouth of babes for sure.  Tangela is Jackie's former babysitter and she is African American.  She was an awesome babysitter and Jackie still talks about her.  Oh, and by the way.  The star student here received her award for using excellent listener skills on the rug.  Way to go, Jackie!  What a great way to start the year off.  I hope to see many more Star Student awards in the coming year.

No comments: