Yes, it is!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Outdoor Running

As most of you have probably read previously, I've been steadily building up my endurance for running. The track that I've been running on is an indoor track at the YMCA and it's air conditioned. So, since I've been thinking of surprising Tim by entering the 5k in San Diego on July 4th, I know that I need to practice running outdoors on different terrain and temperature/humidity. It gets quite humid here and it is difficult for me to handle that. Since it had rained earlier this evening, the air was nice and it was as humid so I thought that it would be a good idea to practice running outdoors. I actually tried a little over a week ago and was able to get less than a half mile before I had to stop due to the heat. But tonight, I was able to run over a mile, 1.2 mile to be exact. That's a good start, right? I definitely could tell a difference but it wasn't too bad.
Tomorrow is my Sunday afternoon Zumba class. I thought about going to the O'Fallon Y to run on the track before going to the East Belleville Y for the Zumba class but since I did fairly well tonight running outdoor, I may just wait until tomorrow evening to do another practice run.
As far as the 5k in San Diego is concerned, I understand that it is not as humid there although it does get hot. That should make it a little easier to handle running in the heat.

No comments: