Yes, it is!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Strawberry Festival

Ha, I have that cute little Beatles song "Strawberry Fields Forever" stuck in my head now.
A couple of months ago, I was invited to be a vendor at a Strawberry Festival in St. Jacob, a small community about a half hour northeast of our home. It was held today and I didn't quite know what to expect. Now when I think of Strawberry Festival, I think of something like the Strawberry Festival in Plant City, FL. That festival takes place soon after the Florida State Fair finishes up in Tampa, FL. It is like going to a mini-state fair with fattening, deep-fried foods, cotton candy, popcorn, roasted corn on the cob, corndogs, funnel cakes, all that good, bad stuff. There are rides, concerts, shows, more. It's a week long affair and it's big. So, imagine my surprise, albeit pleasant, when I drove into St. Jacob to discover that this Strawberry festival is held in the community park and there were no rides. There was, however, a barbeque stand that offered cold drinks, hot dogs, brats, chips, and strawberries with cake and/or ice cream. The strawberries came from Driscolls of California. Now something is wrong here. A strawberry festival in tiny St. Jacob, IL to celebrate the arrival of strawberries from California? Hmm, I know I drove past a couple of strawberry farms on my way to the festival. But it was a nice, little family event.
After I got everything set up on my table, I called Tim to tell him to bring the kids out if he felt like it. Now before I left the house, I told Tim that I had laid out an outfit of shorts and t-shirt for Ben. I failed to set up an outfit for Jackie before I left the house this morning. So, when I told Tim to make sure that Jackie clothes match before he brings the kids to the festival, I should have known better. First of all, I put so much effort into putting together matching outfits for whomever the caretaker is at the time, whether it be Daddy or grandparent. I don't know why I waste my time doing so because I have yet to be greeted by my kids wearing the clothes that I picked out. I won't even talk about the time when I was in the hospital after giving birth to Ben. I should have known then that it was a sign of things to come. Okay, so back to today, since Ben was already wearing shorts and a T-shirt different from what I had picked out before I left this morning, I was okay because at least, he matched and it was comfortable for this hot weather. So, all I needed to do was tell Tim to make sure Jackie matches. One would assume that with this hot weather, she would surely be in summer clothes and matching at that. Right??...Wrong! After awhile, Tim did show up with the kids and they immediate found my table where I was set up at. I was greeted by Jackie wearing her pink capris with pink socks and pink & white shoes and... a long sleeve shirt. LONG sleeve, folks! In 90 degree weather! And to top it off, although it was pink, the shade did not match the capris. So, not only did Jackie not match, she was wearing long sleeves. Uggghhh. Then I look over at Ben and he is wearing... corduroy long pants! That's right, CORDUROY Long pants!! I asked what happened with the shorts and all I got was a shrug from Daddy. Double uggghhh! Is it too much to ask that my kids are dressed comfortably for this weather, humid 90 degree weather? I'm a stickler for matching but if Daddy can't manage that, I would expect that he would put appropriate clothing on his kids, especially after seeing that he, himself is dressed in shorts and short-sleeves. I think next time, I will just have to plaster appropriate wear on Daddy's head so that he. will. get. the. message.
After a night such as last night, all of that should be the least of my worries. After experiencing stress from being attacked by strangers on Facebook, I put off getting my inventory prepared for the Strawberry festival until late last night because I went to the neighbor's house to play a couple of rounds of card games. It was a nice time and took my mind off of that day's stressful events. So after finishing up the card games, I came back home and started to get my stuff ready for today's event when I hear Ben start crying. After comforting Ben and laying him back down in his bed, I started to finish up my preparations when I looked up and saw Ben laying in the hallway and watching me. I put him back in bed and a few moments later, there he was again. So, I figured since it was nearly midnight and I knew he was tired, he would just fall back asleep there on the floor and then I would put him back in bed. Well, that's what usually happens but not on this particular night. Soon after, I finished up what I was doing and I heard Ben rummaging around in the kitchen then he appeared in front of me with his cup. He wanted me to refill it. Okay, so I figured he must have had a bad dream and now he was thirsty so give him some water to drink and put him back to bed and he will go back to sleep quickly now that his tongue is quenched. Umm, no again. The boy was not going back to sleep that easily this time. He was wide awake and ready to play and watch TV. At 1:00 in the morning! After one more attempt to put him back in his bed, unsuccessfully, I decided to just put him in bed with me and Tim. It worked. For Ben and Tim. I, on the other hand, could not get to sleep as tired as I was. So, I moved to the couch and put the TV on low volume (this works for those with tinnitus) and finally started to fall into a slumber when I was awakened by a hard thump and crying. Oh, for Pete's sake, did Ben fall out of my bed? So, I run to my bedroom only to find the door locked and Ben crying on the other side. I called for Tim and he was using the bathroom. Tim had locked the bedroom door to keep Ben from wandering out of the room so that I could get at least a little bit of sleep on the living room couch. I did not realize that Ben was not yet asleep when I left him in bed with Tim. So, I joined the boys back in my bed until I quit feeling Ben moving around. I went back out to the living room couch to again attempt to fall asleep. I think slumber finally claimed me around 3 AM, it may have even been later. I don't know; the entire night is a blur. I awoke around 6 AM and somehow managed to crawl from the couch into bed with Jackie until I was again woken by my cell phone alarm clock. Time to get up and get ready to face the day at the Strawberry Festival. Oh joy! Especially on maybe 3 hours of sleep. Insomnia is not fun, folks, especially when there is a little boy who insists that it is time to get up and play and even eat sometime after midnight.

No comments: