Yes, it is!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Good Soup

For those of you who know me well, you know that I am somewhat of a picky eater. I just like simple foods. In fact, Tim always reminds me that I have an unsophisticated palate. Every now and then, I impress him with a recipe that I enjoy. I made one of those dishes today. If you're picky like me, then this is a recipe for you. It will please picky and non-picky eaters alike. It is as follows:

Zuppa di Lentils & Pastina

Ingredients: 1/2 c pastina
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
3 oz pancetta, chopped (optional, I don't use this)
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh Rosemary
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 quarts water
1 16-oz bag dried lentils, rinsed
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 Tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 Tablespoon chopped parsley

Heat oil in stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, pancetta (optional), rosemary, and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
Add water and lentils. Bring to a boil, cover. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. (This may take less time, just keep checking)
Place 1/4 cup of lentil mixture in a blender or food processor and puree. Add mixture back to pot and return to boil. Add carrots, celery, pastina, salt, and pepper. Cover, cook and additional 6 minutes. Stir occasionally. Serve sprinkled with parsley.

This makes the third time I have made this and each time it has turned out really good. One thing I noticed when I used organic lentils was that it took longer for the lentils to be ready. Just check the readiness of the lentil before you add the last ingredients. Oh, and my kids even enjoyed some of this.

No comments: