Yes, it is!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Grammar Nazi Here

I cannot believe the amount of improper grammar and misspellings that I have seen on such sites as Facebook, TopMommy blogs website, and even newsprint. It is a huge pet peeve of mine when I see improper use of "your". I just signed up on www.topmommyblogs.com and the welcome page says "Account created. Your a member!" HELLO!!! It's "you're". You know, you're = you are. That website should hire me as a proofreader.
It's probably a good thing that I am not an English/Language teacher. I would have alot of enemies in my students.
But since I'm on my soapbox, here is a short list of some of my pet peeves when it comes to grammar/spelling:
your, you're
their, they're, there
to, too, two

Their & your are possesive pronouns. Example: You need to take "your" medicine now. It indicates ownership.
You're & they're are contractions. Example: "You're" heading in the right direction. Or, "You are" heading in the right direction. You're = you are. Get it?

Another pet peeve is the correct use of affect vs. effect. But I'm not even going to try to explain that as most people just get too befuddled with it.

Now with all that being said, I can forgive the occasional mistake. Okay, now I'm off my soap box.

2 comments:

Daily Dose of Dahl said...

tell it sister! Can I hire you to proof my stuff? I pay in spaghetti and pound cake. :)

Samantha said...

Hahaha! Spaghetti maybe, poundcake no, lest I want more poundage on my frame.