Yes, it is!

Friday, April 30, 2010

Butterfly House field trip

Today I went with Jackie's class on a field trip to the Butterfly House in St. Charles, MO. What a beautiful place. I learned more about butterflies than I ever cared to know before but it was quite interesting. Before the class (4-5 year olds) went into the area where the butterflies are free-roaming, we went into a little theater to watch an educational film that told all about how butterflies come to be... from caterpillar to chrysalis to the end result which is a beautiful butterfly. The film itself was obviously geared toward the older kids as it talked about such topics as aphrodisiac and mating. After the film, we were led into the butterfly area. Oh, what a sight as there were hundreds, perhaps, thousands of butterflies of all kinds. One of the volunteers told me that there were at least 60 species just in that place alone. It was just absolutely beautiful. At one point, a butterfly landed on Jackie's pants. She was non-plussed about it, though. Thankfully, I explained just the night before to her that if a butterfly were to land on her, that there was nothing to be afraid of. She was worried about a butterfly biting her and I reassured her that butterflies don't bite people. Thankfully, Jackie didn't panic when one landed on her. But I could tell that she was not thrilled, though. Other than that, Jackie seemed to really enjoy the experience. The next stop was to the picnic and play area for lunch. Jackie and her friend, Abby, were so excited about playing in the awesome play area that they ended up neglecting their lunches and ran off to play. After lunch and playtime, we all walked over to another building that housed an indoor carousel. It was a very nice and big carousel but the ride was a little short. But the kids didn't seem to mind. After the carousel ride was over, we all ventured back to the parking lot to load back up on the bus for the bumpy ride back home. Ugghh, it had been a loooonng time since I've been on a school bus and I hope it will be a long time before I get on another one. I think I'll drive my car next time. What was forecasted to be a stormy day ended up being a very nice day with the exception of the occasional dark sky and the winds. Bus ride or not, I do look forward to doing more field trips in the future with my children. I had such a nice day with Jackie and her friend Abby and Abby's grandparents.


No comments: