Yes, it is!

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Loooong Overdue Update

Wow, I'm not quite sure where to start. So much has happened in the last five months since I lasted posted here. Jackie fractured her clavicle mid-March. She fell out of bed in the middle of the night and landed on the side affected by CP. Because of the low muscle tone due to the CP, we knew healing of the fracture would take a little longer. Jackie was disappointed to be sidelined from gymnastics for awhile. A few days after Jackie fractured her clavicle, she fell out of the wagon and received a huge bump on her head and some abrasions on her face. Then a few days after that incident, Jackie was playing on my bed and rolled over the footboard onto the floor. She re-fractured her clavicle. At one point, the doctor was very concerned about the possibility of surgery because the fracture site became very sharp and was close to protruding through her skin. Thankfully, though, the area has healed very nicely and she was released a couple of weeks ago to resume gymnastics.
Jackie graduated from the Early Childhood class this past May and is now eligible for Pre-K. We are currently on a wait list to get Jackie into a program and Zion Lutheran for 3 full days a week. She is currently attending the public school Pre-K but it is just 2 1/2 hours per day and it takes up my entire morning and really limits what activities I can do during that time. As soon as Jackie gets into the full day program, I will be looking for childcare for Ben to go part-time and then I'll work on the days Ben and Jackie are at school/daycare.
We had a very busy summer. We all went to Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN in May. That is a very nice park and very family friendly. It is also very affordable. Before we left to go home, we visited a state park where Abraham Lincoln spent much of his boyhood. It was very nice, except for the snake that I encountered when I exited the bathroom. That was 2nd snake encounter in just a week. The first snake encounter still makes me shiver when I think about it but I'll explain what happened. I had gone to our storage unit that we were renting to get the portable DVD player to take on our trip to Holiday World. I found the player and as I stood in the unit to see what else I should take back to the house, I felt something brush against my ankle. I can't tell you what happened between then and when I found myself on the phone screaming to Tim at work about the snake. Of course, he couldn't understand a word I was saying because I was so hysterical. I kept screaming snake and jumping as if to get the snake off of me. Of course, the snake was already gone into the back of the unit. Guess who emptied out the unit when we got moved into the new house? I can assure you that it was not me. And I made him check every single box before he brought them to the new house. Of course, if Tim had not pointed out that snake at the park in Indiana, I would never have known it was there. But being the kind, loving guy that he is, and knowing the trauma that I experienced a few days earlier, he wanted to make sure that I noticed the snake in the woods. Of course, I screamed and Tim got a kick out of it. Ha.
Speaking of the new house, we purchased another house in our subdivision. It was a really good deal because it was a short sale transaction. The house was in terrific shape for being a short sale home. The biggest repair that was required was the exterior trim on the front of the house around the palladim window. All of the other repairs that were needed have been very minor. We plan to re-landscape in the coming weeks now that the exterior trim is completed. Then we will look at painting some of the rooms. The house is much more family friendly than our other house. And, we have a basement which we will eventually finish partially for more living space. We have the other house leased out to a nice, widowed lady. She's been a wonderful tenant so far.
The rest of our summer was spent going to physical therapy appointments for me and physical/occupational therapies for Jackie. We also went back home to Florida for a few weeks. We got a really good deal for Disney so we took advantage of that. Tim had to return home after a few days to return to work. I stayed behind with the kids. We stayed busy almost the entire time we were down there. In addition to Disney, we went to the beach, the springs, visited friends and other family members. Mother-in-law rode back home with me and the kids and after a few days here, she flew back home to Florida.
A few days after returning home from Florida, Tim had to go out of town for a couple of weeks on business. Fortunately, it was in Rock Island which was just a 4 1/2 hour drive from us. The kids and I spent an extended weekend with Tim up in Davenport, IA which is just over the river from Rock Island, IL. That was fun. It was even nicer that I was able to stop at a friend's house on the way there and back home. She has a little boy who is just a couple of weeks younger than Ben so it was nice to have our boys together to play.
Oh, another event that has happened since I last updated is that we have a new family member. His name is Dugan and he is a miniature Australian Shepherd. Some of you may remember us taking in another neighbor's dog a couple of years ago. Well, Snow died the week preceeding Mother's Day. I did not plan to get another dog right away but when we were offered this puppy for free, I took it up. Dugan and Lucy get along great and are always playing with and chasing each other.
Tim started work on his MBA this past week. This is going to be a good thing because it will afford him better opportunities with his job with the government. I am excited for him although, Tim is not thrilled about taking classes again.
Ben is growing up so quickly. He is 20 months old. He has been showing interest in the potty and I let him sit on the little one that I got him. He will sit for just a moment, though and then run and get a clean diaper. He is so cute because he tries to put his own diaper on himself. Right before bedtime tonight, I actually put a little seat on top of the big toilet seat and sat him on there while I got a clean diaper out. Before I could get to the diaper, though, I got distracted with Jackie brushing her teeth. When I reached over to get Ben off of the toilet, I noticed the seat was wet and at first, I thought it was water. But, no, low and behold, it was PEE! He actually went in the big potty. I was so proud of him. But I really don't want him to grow up, yet. I just love watching his cuteness.
Jackie is a little over 2 months away from her 5th birthday. Wow, I can't believe how quickly she seems to have grown this past year. She is still a little thing but she is talking like an older child and more independent now. She started Pre-K this week but that is only temporary until we can get her into Zion Lutheran's preschool program. I need to start planning for Jackie's birthday party. This is her 5th so I'm going to let her have a party.
Well, I will try to do better at keeping up on this blog in the future.

No comments: